In the early 19th century, coal mining steadily became big business in this region and following a dispute over the rights to work coal in the Backworth area, the Duke of Northumberland purchased the whole of the Grey Estate.
Over the years, the Hall began to fall into disrepair and in 1934; the committee of Backworth Colliery Miners Welfare Scheme purchased the building and surrounding 85 acres for £8500.
A further £4000 was spent on restoration of buildings, additions and alterations and
the provision and layout of the recreational facilities including the golf course, cost an additional £4415.
Backworth Hall was the welfare and recreational centre for the whole of the Backworth coal-mining district, which had over 3000
employees. The miners used to pay sixpence out of their wages to the Social Fund to keep the place going.
We are a registered charity and the Archery, Croquet, Backworth Cricket Club, Backworth Bowling Club and Backworth Golf Club are all part of the organisation but run independently.